Laura Nowadays

Political Rantings and Insight From a Not-So-Stupid Twenty-Something.

Name:
Location: United States

Monday, April 17, 2006

Copper Is Key

Why is it that blondes have such a bad rep? This question has always plagued me as I myself am a blonde and just happen to be intelligent. I have been so intrigued with the origin of this stereotype lately, that I decided to Google it.
It turns out that noone is quite sure where this stereotype came from. Wikipedia states that it could have been derived from the sometimes light hair color of (caucasian) babies whose hair darkens as they get older. Thus associating light hair with youth/stupidity. Other possibilities listed are actresses who play up the "dumb blonde" role in movies or television shows, the false belief that bleaching your hair kills brains cells, and even Puritans that associated light or blonde hair with prostitution!
The best explanation I could find was copper. Apparently, dark and red hair has more copper in it. Copper was associated with intellect, and since blonde hair has less copper in it, those donning this hair color were seen as less intelligent.
Wherever your oppinion lies in this matter, it's always interesting to find out where certain ideals come from. Hopefully though, I can change your view to a more positive outlook on the blonde community.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home