Laura Nowadays

Political Rantings and Insight From a Not-So-Stupid Twenty-Something.

Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Glass Half Empty


The media sucks. It has taken me 21 years of a conservitive upbringing and about 21 seconds of actually watching the news to come to this conclusion.
If you've ever watched television I'm sure you've seen that in spite of his lack of moral integrity, Clinton The First was made out to look like Christ. I have no doubts that if Clinton The Second wins in '08 this will be the media's version of the Second Coming.
In all honesty, this isn't a political rant (or maybe it is; you decide), I'm just tired of the media. I'm tired of their spin on the truth and I'm tired of the mindless idiots who follow them blindly.

Enough is enough.

I know that everyone has a bias (I'm sure you can't tell where mine lies) but I always thought, naively I suppose, that it was the job of the journalist media to report news.
I know, I know, that's just silly. You can stop laughing now.
I'm sure everyone knows that the American death toll in Iraq is "rapidly" approaching 3,000, if we haven't already hit it. But let's stop and think about the fact that it has taken this extremist group 3 years to kill 3,000 of our mighty defenders on their own turf. Let us also remember that they killed that many people in a matter of hours on our own turf. That's why we're there. To prevent more, unexpected, purposeless death to our own people and whoever else this group decides they don't care for.

Now that I've mentioned statistics you already knew, let's talk about the stats you had no idea existed. Did you know that women voted for the first time EVER in Iraq history because of the U.S. invasion? Did you know that more schools have been built, and even more children are attending school than ever before? Did you know that their water is cleaner? Did you know that they are (with U.S. assistance) developing their own means of self-defense so that our troops can finally come home? Did you know that they are establishing a sound system of governement so that men like Saddam Hussein can not take over their country anymore and drive it into a state of depression? (Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.) These are all great things that we, as the country who is aiding them, should be proud of. But more than that, let's be happy for the people of Iraq who, in spite of the war, are experiencing peace without their former leader.
Why is it, that you haven't heard about these wonderful things? Why did I have to scour the internet to find them? Because my friend, we are bombarded by the unaplogetic media who are drinking glasses of water that are half empty.

3 Comments:

Blogger essa said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:48 PM  
Blogger essa said...

Hi Laura. I'm always shocked when someone actually reads my blog, since I haven't really forwarded the address to anyone. I hope your fiance will be home soon. As for me, I have another VTC cafe to look forward to this month, hopefully. If you are interested in receiving a newsletter through email which gathers news (speciafically about the Army's 4th Infantry Division) with mostly positive stories, let me know. It's easier to get news from a friendly source... or, at least watching Fox network news. What branch/corp is your fiance with?

8:49 PM  
Blogger essa said...

Hey Laura. My husband is also an ROTC brat! He's signal. He's been active for 6 long years. He's getting out when he gets back. So we can finally stop putting off children. Armor guys have a good chance of being stationed here at Fort Hood. I wouldn't want to be an MP either. They are assumed to be jerks, whether they are or aren't. Anyway, send me an email with your first and last name along with the address where you want the updates sent. Send to: vanessamcgraw@gmail.com. I stumbbled upon Jeremy's site when I was searching for the song that played on the Real World one day. Now I read his all the time. I started my blog shortly after. Have a good day!

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home