Laura Nowadays

Political Rantings and Insight From a Not-So-Stupid Twenty-Something.

Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Whistlin' Dixie


Time for my weekly post. I'd like to keep posting on a weekly basis. This way my craving to share my wonderful point of view is satisfied, and I still keep my readers on edge, just waiting for the next fireball of conservitivism to come flying at them. This is assuming, of course, that anyone reads this. I'd like to think that I'm a mini-Ann Coulter, sharing my views without necessarily being asked for them. Not to mention sharing them with a pinch of spunk.
I hope that you've found time in your busy schedule this past week to watch a bit of MTV, VH1 or even CMT. (The latter being the music television that I prefer) The Dixie Chicks have found some courage deep within them to make one more attempt in the music world. Interestingly enough, their sound has changed to that of a more pop-based melody. I can't imagine why. It seems as though they're "Not Ready to Make Nice" with their original fan-base who have shunned them. What a shame. That certainly isn't the impression that I got from Natalie Maines during her blubber-fest with Diane Sawyer. But maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention to her.
At any rate, the Dixie Chicks have now taken time to re-think their second statement about their original statement and are now "mad as hell". But who knows, this could change in another month.
Prediction: When the Dixie Chicks realize that they're not selling cd's the way they used to, they'll put out an album titled "Finally Ready to Make Nice, We Swear".
I think what I'm trying to say here is that the damage is done. The media (and those that follow them blindly) are praising the Chicks for "sticking to their guns" and for their "courage in spite of what has happened to them". But if they really stuck to their guns, would they have put out their pathetic attempt at an apology to the American public in the first place? It seems to me that they don't even know where they really stand.
My favorite line in this whole controversy is that the Chicks have every right to free speech, it's part of being an American. Well you're darn right it is, but can someone please explain to me why the right to free speech ends with the Dixie Chicks? It's ok for them to say that they're embarassed that President Bush is from Texas (which, I would like to point out is SO childish; It ranks right up their with "My dad is cooler than your dad") but it's not ok for people to be upset about that and stop supporting them? Sounds to me like a double-standard. Ah, the epitome of the Left. I knew it would come out at some point in this blog.
Now that the Chicks are yet again exercising their right to free speech, I can't wait to see the response from "the people". I know that I won't be wasting my hard-earned money on filth and I'm excited to see who else won't. Whether or not anyone is willing to admit it, the heartland still sways this country's vote. From what I can see, the heartland isn't "Ready to Make Nice" either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home