Laura Nowadays

Political Rantings and Insight From a Not-So-Stupid Twenty-Something.

Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Fighting for the Bottom of the Totem Pole


Well, I think I've heard it all now. This is it. If there was no evidence before of whose trying to "keep the man down" there is now. It's "the man" himself!
I was reading an article recently about blacks and their take on the immigration issues. Most of my readers, I'm sure, know where I stand on immigration, so I'll spare you the rant. What I read in this article was most interesting due largely to the fact that a large portion of the African-American population seem to be opposed to keeping the illegal immigrants here. This is mostly because the illegals take over the jobs that the younger (male) African American's would otherwise have. i.e. unskilled, low-paying labor. One would assume then that if your job is being taken over, that you educate yourself and move up the "career ladder".
Not so for this group of people.
It would be interesting to have a conversation with one of these people. I mean, are they serious?

"So what you're telling me is that you're upset that the immigrants are taking your low-paying, going nowhere in life job?" -"Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying." "Well, why?"

Really, you would think that this would be a big light bulb going off for these people. Ding, Ding, Ding, even uneducated, non english-speaking ILLEGALS can do this job, maybe I'd better try for something better. But no, they'll just settle for less and use the energy they could put towards a better education on complaining about the fact that they have to compete with immigrants for minimum wage.

As they are with every other issue that comes up in the African-American corner, good ol' Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are present here. But this time, instead of screaming about how unfair blacks are treated as minorities in the work place and how they should have the same opportunities to move up as everyone else, they're marching alongside of illegals and trying to keep the African-Americans right where they are- at the bottom.
Pardon me gentlemen, but I thought your agenda was to create opportunity for the young generation of African Americans, not keep them at a place where they're earning minimum wage. No wonder African Americans are fighting for nothingness, it's what their fearless leaders want for them too! "I see your true colors shining through......"
Looks like Jesse and Al like being the only blacks at the top. They don't want to have to compete with truly educated African Americans like Condie Rice or Colon Powell (or "Uncle Toms" as they like to call them) for the money or favor in this capitalistic society.
And I would be amiss if I didn't point this out- Jesse and Al align themselves with the liberal left! Imagine that!
What African Americans need to realize is that it's not just Jesse and Al who want to keep them working at McDonald's, it's the whole of the Left. Might I also point out that Republicans seem to be the only party that know how to put an African American in a position of authority. Ask Bill Clinton who he had on top (and I mean other than Monica Lewinsky) and he can't give an answer relative to civil rights. As is typical, he's all bark and no bite, which is how that party has been all along.
So here's my solution to this problem. GO TO SCHOOL. From what I hear, in order to earn a great salary anymore, a good education is required. If an illegal can take the job you have now, it probably wasn't worth having anyway, and it probably wasn't putting a (decent) roof over your head. The best fix to this conundrum is to take a step up in society. Frankly, if we're going to let the illegals stay here I'd rather them stay at the bottom of the totem pole. It's where they belong if their not going to acclimate themselves to the culture in this great nation.

2 Comments:

Blogger essa said...

Hey laura,
Matt will be back for his R&R of 15 days and he redeploys in December. How are you doing?

11:51 AM  
Blogger essa said...

oh yea... he comes home for R&R in August, hopefully.

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home