Laura Nowadays

Political Rantings and Insight From a Not-So-Stupid Twenty-Something.

Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, June 08, 2006

'F' the Police


Before I satisfy the masses and lash out with my politics, I want to inform my readers of the newest edition to the Conservative Library. Ann Coulter released the highly anticipated Godless: The Church of Liberalism. Buy it here.

Ok, so now back to my weekly post.

I'm really surprised with myself. I don't necessarily believe that what I'm going to write about today is something that one political party takes a stand on over the other. I just think it needs to be brought into light. I was talking to a friend recently who is a retired police lieutenant and was (and still am) outraged at the petty problems the Protectors of the Streets have to deal with.
Also, in light of recent criticism that I don't source my findings, I'll start providing. Please bear with me as there is plenty to source.

We've all read about, heard, or seen the Rodney King "incident". We saw the way the officers beat him with their batons relentlessly while King was laying helplessly on the ground seemingly cooperative. What is not shown (due to editing and the fact that the gentleman who videotaped came in about a quarter into the incident) is the fact King has just taken the officers on an 8 mile high speed chase, threw 4 officers off of his back after they were ordered to subdue him, and then went charging after another officer. In comes the baton swing heard 'round the world. What took place next was what most witnessed in the edited video. It appears that King is just laying on the ground while enduring a 19 second "brutal attack" from the officers. What was not shown, (source) was the fact that King continued to resist arrest while being beaten, which is why they continued to hit him. Also, ignored is the fact that not only was he drunk, and had a previous police record, but he was also high off of PCP. Some of the affects of PCP? "Numbness, slurred speech, and loss of coordination may be accompanied by a sense of strength and invulnerability." This might explain his apparent tolerance during the whole escapade and the reason why he was able to continue lunging at officers after being shot with 2 rounds of electric darts totaling 50,000 volts each.
I'm sure many have also heard about Officer Gus Spanos . He pulled a vehicle over for a "routine" traffic stop and was subsequently stabbed by the driver and his friends and shot to death. Thanks to the camera that was in his squad car the criminals were captured, and this incident started a widespread move to have cameras put in the squad cars of all officers in Oklahoma.

The sad part of both incidents are what each officer had to put up with. Officer Spanos was outnumbered 3-1 and suffered the consequences. The officers in the Rodney King incident weren't outnumbered, yet were dealing with a dangerous person and when they used force, they were all but crucified. Tell me, would you not do all you could to protect your life and the life of those with whom you work? That's exactly what officers do and when they do they look like the bad guys.
There are hundreds of other stories just like this and it seems to be that there is one extreme or the other. Either the officer gets hurt or killed, or they're attacked by the government for using too much force.
There's got to be a middle ground here. Either that, or the state governments should back off. Only police officers know how dangerous it is for police officers. If they feel the need to use force based on a person's actions or previous criminal record, then they should be able to do so. It could save their life. I'd rather the officer live than the criminal if he can't comply with the officers demands.

Another bothersome issue is the way in which police are disrespected. This issue is mostly dominant with rap "music". The newest song I love to hate is Ridin' by Chamillionaire. The chorus lyrics are:

They see me rollin'-They hatin'-Patrollin' and tryna catch me ridin dirty-(tryna to catch me ridin dirty) X 4-My music so loud-I'm swangin'-They hopin' that they gonna catch me ridin dirty(tryna catch me ridin dirty)

They go on to talk about how they have to get home before po' po' catches them drinking and smoking in their Excursion (they have to throw in the part about their cars because it's the only pride they have). Since when did the police become the bad guys? Pardon me for pointing this out, but aren't they "Ridin' Dirty"? Shouldn't they be put in jail? They are in the wrong, right?

Maybe the war in Iraq is wrong. (Not really) I think we have our own war in this country. It's called the inner city. Just like in Iraq our troops are the "bad guys" (although the left would never admit they truly think that); In the U.S. police are the "bad guys". We could learn a lesson from the War on Terrorism; remove the source of the problem and start all over, things can only go up from there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home